Saturday, December 31, 2011

New years eve and resolutions

Most people are blogging today or at least at some point about this subject. this is a disclaimer.

Mine might not be as interesting because I have yet to decide what I am going to write about.

I could write about how this year, like the past 3 years, I have set a goal to get skinny (which never happens I might add.

I could write about how again for probably the 7th year in a row, my resolutions with include reading my Bible every day.

I could swear off boys again, which I do about every other year that usually last a whole 3 days.

But, (another disclaimer this could seem cynical) I think measurable resolutions are a bad decision. at least for me.

Every year I set almost impossible and unattainable resolutions that I will only remind me of my inadequacy, and lack of self-discipline in 3 weeks. This year, frankly, I don't want to set my self up for failure.

If you know me at all, you know I love to plan and set goals. Measurable ones.

This could be me growing up, and maturing or it could be me choosing to be ignorant to my failures. But there is a quote that I have been reciting very frequently recently that fits in this situation.

"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten."

I'm not going to set the same resolutions that I always do because they haven't worked in the past.

I think that the most important thing I can do this year is try to relinquish control. Its not going to happen over night. It will take lots of time, and lots of failure. But I have to realize that I cant be a dictator over everything that happens and how other people act.

My first thought when people started talking about resolutions was, "I wish I could make resolutions for other people that they had to stick to."

How pompous is that? I think that defines my problem right there.

I think the reason people make resolutions is to take out some of the mystery and uncertainty that comes with entering into the unknown, into a new year. people get scared about things changing, but if they have a set of rules to live by then it removes some of the ambiguity of the new year.

So this year I want to try to embrace ambiguity.

the ambiguity of the future, the ambiguity of God and his purpose and plan, and the ambiguity in the way people act and respond.

I don't know if this is attainable for me. It would change a part of the very essence of who am but I think it would only bring me happiness in the long run and bring those that I love, that I am always trying to mold and control, happiness, and strengthen my relationship with Christ.

Take this for what its worth. Just working out thoughts on paper.

and Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bonnie. I think you're thinking in the right direction. We can muster up all our energy and efforts to control or change our world and and ourselves in this world, but I think that we're inevitably doomed for failure and a sense of lacking. For me, along with a list of resolutions, but taking priority above all, is to simply rest in knowing God and who He has made me. He thinks the world of you and is calling you, and all His children, to rest inHis goodness. Thanks for the post and for the opportunity to respond. Have a great start to the new year and see ya when I see ya!

    ReplyDelete