Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Artificial Insemination

In class and through an array of articles we read regarding sex and consent among other topics regarding the psychology of those involved, and what is and isn’t moral.

In the Bellioti article sexual exploitation and respect were covered. I think in terms of respect Bellioti covered accurately what you should or should not have sex with if respect for the object or person are the only thing governing your choices. The statement I liked best from the Bellioti came towards the end, (no pun intended). It states. “It must be pointed out that to state that a certain act is not immoral does not entail that it is advisable to pursue.” That statement sums up my reaction the article. I understand that other people might not think like me, but most of those things have never even crossed my mind up until reading the article. Recently, after reading through the plethora of sex related articles and dealing with members of the opposite sex, my thoughts aren’t what the human race can have sex with but how can we get away with not having sex with the other race. Maybe instead of worrying about all of this we should just stop having sex all together. At this point we don’t really even need to come into contact with the other sex in order to reproduce. We have artificial insemination. In the case of sex, we wouldn’t have to worry about consent or disrespect. I realize that this doesn’t solve the problem of sexual desires but it does solve the predicament of consent. Unless a woman steals a mans sperm out of a test tube, there is consent. See clip from The Switch posted at the bottom.

This is a lot more clear cut then deciding if a woman is consenting to sex if she takes of her clothes or kisses you while on top of you. Here are some more questions that went through my head that Im going to do my best to work out on paper.

What do people have the right to consent to?

How do you know if someone has consented?

Can you prove someone consented?

As you can see by these tough questions and the obvious difficulties that come from dealing with the opposite sex, it’s no wonder I think that test tube babies would be the simplest answer to all of our sex related problems. Plus, we would no longer have to worry about STDs or accidental pregnancies.

Now to attempt to answer the first question: What do people have the right to consent to? More directly is who do you belong to? Who has authority over your body. Most people would answer (yes I’m speaking generally) would say that “I have authority over my own body, no one can consent except me!” But there is a lot of other answers that one might not think of right of the bat. Like when you are under 17 years of age. The age of consent. Does that mean your parents can consent for you? Under U.S. law, no. but does that mean it is illegal to have sex under the age of 17? No, not if your partner is also under age. But your parents are your legal guardians so shouldn’t they have the authority over your body until you turn 18? You can’t tattoo your body without their permission until your 18, but you can have sex without their permission as long as your partner isn’t an adult? This doesn’t make sense. Cant sex do a lot more harm than a tattoo? It doesn’t add up. Ok, so what if you are over the age of 18, are you the only one that has authority over your body? What about God? (I know, predictable answer to come from B.G.B) In romans it discusses that you are either a slave to sin or a slave to God. (later it discussed that we are friends and sons and daughters of God thanks to the death of Jesus on the cross but that is unrelated to this topic). So from my view point God has authority over your body, whether you chose to adhere to that authority or not, whether you believe in God or not. But even if you don’t believe in God and that type of authority is irrelevant doesn’t your spouse, if you ever get married, have some authority over who you can consent to? When you get married aren’t you promising to “love, honor and respect” that person. And if you’re not, why get married? For financial reasons? Insurance reasons? Arranged marriage?

Advice from B.G.B.-Don’t get married for any of these reasons.

So my conclusion in this is, that in my lifetime, I have never and will never have the freedom to consent without the prior consent of God first, for a period of time, my parents, and at some point my husband. That’s a lot of people to get permission from in order to have sex. (just saying)

Next question-How do you know if someone has consented?

We wrote a summary for class, or brought a clip of consent for class but I bet not all of our answers were the same. My point in this being is that the only way for someone to absolutely positively know that someone is consenting is to ask this “are you consenting to me putting my hand on you hip?” other person: “yes, I consent.” And so on and so forth until its over. But the other question is how do you know if that person is legally able to consent? You better get a BAC test and make sure you test for GHB and other date rape drugs! Some might think that the Antioch College sexual offense policy was too extreme, it’s probably the most accurate way to protect the students and avoid lawsuits and crime.

The next question, Can you prove someone consented?

So on pondering this question the answer is yes. How you might ask?

Get a tape recorder, ask the accomplice if they consent, what day it is, and what time it is, (because you can consent to sex in the same day at one point in time and be raped by the same guy later that day. ) Have your accomplice initial by the test strip for the BAC level and GHB test that he/she is neither drunk nor drugged and is capable of consent. Leave the tape recorder on during the activities so that as both are consenting to every progression there is a record of consent. Keep a copy of every sexual contact consent packet just in case there is a legal discrepancy. Sounds like a lot of work to have sex doesn’t it?

This is my reasoning behind the push for A.I. all the way around. There would be no STD’s, wife battering (no need to get married if there is no need for sex), no need for paternity test, and above all, NO ISSUES with consent.

Note: I realize that I didn’t address how people would release sexual tension if we only used A.I. I’m not even sure A.I. matches up with my religious beliefs so honestly, I don’t think I have answer to what you should do to get rid of that pent up sexual frustration. Bellioti might be able to help you though. <-disclaimer: the Bellioti statement was a complete joke.

link to an example of non consent using A.I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkuOg4DxeK0

No comments:

Post a Comment